502 owners, what year is yours?

Home Forums Help ! 502 owners, what year is yours?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
August 27, 2018 at 11:00 pm #1993

Blair

Hi all

Am just starting the re-registering of my restored 502.  Just for the record, it is as original as I can get it, but with AEV Regulator, LED tell tail lights and spotlight, modern indicator flasher unit.  So nothing modified physically, or engine wise.  Which I hoped would make things perhaps more straightforward.

First step, how to identify the scoot?    I have no previous record of it’s registration, no old plate, or metal sticker ID plate they came out with, or anything to help.

Still can be done tho, just need to start with a VCC Application for Vehicle ID / Authenticity Statement form (by the looks and info from VCC).

Fortunately I have another 502 (becoming a J-Zeta) with date of manufacture on the metal sticker ID tag as 1964, and it’s engine number is only 25 units later, so sort of something to go by, which could be helpful.

From what I have read about Laurie Summers and Jawa NZ, it looked like NZ sold 501’s in 61-62, 502’s in 1963.  Nothing was said about 1964, however totally possible.

So please, would any 502 owners be able to post up their scoots date of first registration?  On any info you have on the 502 year of sale or manufacture / rego etc…

Also if anyone has been through this re-rego process, without paperwork,  even if different vehicle, would you mind posting a quick run down on the steps involved from your experience?

Thank you 🙂
Blair

August 28, 2018 at 10:44 am #1994

nzeta_mike

Hi Blair,

I have been through this process a few times, it’s straight forward enough but they do make you jump through a few hurdles.

First thing to do is get as much background information on your bike as possible. Trade me auctions are not enough, they want history. A letter from the people you bought it off, any photos they might have would help, the history they know of it, anything like that helps. What you are looking to do is effectively build up a background to the bike to show it is an NZ bike. Saying “Nzeta’s were only made in NZ and not exported” doesn’t carry any weight (I tried). They’re simple folk with boxes that need ticking. I haven’t heard of one being rejected, as long as you give them as much info as you can you should be fine.

Once you get that approved, get an authenticity statement and lighting exemption from the Vintage car club. Costs around $100 and can take up to a month to turn around. Then head down for your re-vin. QED.

Mike.

August 28, 2018 at 11:13 am #1995

Jim
Keymaster

Some good info there, thanks Mike.

Blair I will get some of the documentation I have for mine and come back to you.

August 28, 2018 at 11:30 am #1999

Jim
Keymaster

Hey Blair,

My 502 is a 1965 according to the frame stamp. I can hunt out the ownership papers for it but I think this is correct.

It’d been a mission to get an accurate way of identifying them other than these stamps and the engine numbers and as you know some bikes either don’t have one or don’t have the correct stamps on them.

August 28, 2018 at 10:38 pm #2000

Blair

Cool, thanks Mike and Jim, that is excellent info, was worried it might prove impossible.

Think I can round up about 10 or 15 years of history, as it was in pieces round Taranaki here somewhere.

So with that and old pics, info etc… then complete the “Alternative docs” form from NZTA first?

Then the VCC docs, etc…?

Cheers

Blair

August 29, 2018 at 10:27 am #2001

nzeta_mike

I’d definitely do the Alt Docs process first, if you can trace it back 15 years or so you shouldn’t have a problem. If you get this completed then the rest is plain sailing.

August 29, 2018 at 12:07 pm #2002

Blair

Great, ta Mike, just been calling round and found out most of this scoots history.

All is a bit clearer to my cloudy mind now, will post up how I go.

September 18, 2018 at 9:28 am #2030

Jim
Keymaster

Let us know how you get on Blair.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.