What battery set up are people using

Home Forums Help ! What battery set up are people using

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
April 21, 2018 at 1:47 pm #1891

Blair

Hi all

Just nearing the end of a 502 restoration, and just about to buy a new battery.

I used 1 x 12 volt battery on the previous 501 restoration, but never really rode it a lot before selling, so did not really test how it charged, and how much power it had after weeks of use, for dyna-starting.

I never really used the electric start from cold, it did suck a lot of power from the battery, but when hot it had no problem cranking, and started fast.  I mean I could start from cold with the dyna-starter, but you could hear it drain the battery quite quickly.  I realise the manual suggests NOT to kick start from cold, so maybe they had similar issues.

However what I really am looking for, is thoughts or experience from the chaps that have stuck the original 2 x 6 volts batteries.  Have just been reading the theory of 2 x 6 volt batteries in series having more cold cranking grunt, and potentially being able to hold the charge longer  that 1 x 12 volt battery on its own.

Be interesting to learn if there is any notable difference with an NZeta, so shout with your experiences here guys, and what you run on your scoot in the way of batteries.

Cheers all

Blair.

April 22, 2018 at 11:22 am #1893

Gords

Hi Blair, sorry cannot help you, I have a 501 and a 502 that are getting nearer the stage of me making the same decision. My current thoughts are to go with what I originally understand each had; (2 x 6V -501 and 1 x 12V 502).

Good luck – be watching to see if any others have any thoughts on the matter.

Gordon

April 23, 2018 at 10:01 am #1894

Jim
Keymaster

I got a 12v katana battery from supercheap autos for my 502.

The times that I used it to start it worked fine cold as far as turning it over but starting was hard as it had sat for a long time and needs a tune.

If I leave the key in the ignition the battery will go flat overnight.

I’m not sure yet what will go into the 501.

2 x 6v batteries, wired in parallel will double your amp/hours and would probably help with the cold cranking but I’m thinking of just 1 x 12v higher amp/hour rated low maintenance one.

cheers

Jim

April 23, 2018 at 10:08 pm #1895

Blair

Sorry, need to amend my initial post, I have a point back to front.

I mentioned “the manual suggests to NOT kick start from cold”.

It of course should read, “the manual suggests to NOT DYNASTART from cold”. (kick starting does not drain the battery :-))

In regards to the battery, I am almost certain of going with 1 x 12 volt battery, at least 14 amp hrs, unless anyone comes up with some amazing stats or experience with 2 x 6v.  Had a motobatt 14 amphr last time, seemed OK.

Yes I did that too Jim, left the key in, and did not realise that that is effectively putting the key to ignition ON, in a car or other bike.  Doh, no wonder my batteries don’t last long!

June 5, 2018 at 9:07 pm #1926

Blair

Hi all

Have bought this battery (below), same as I had on the 502 scoot prior to tear down and paint etc..

Motobatt MBTX14AU    12V
135mm long 90mm wide 168mm high or 176mm high with 8mm base spacer

$118 Trade Me, free delivery.  About the best I could find.

Starts with Dyna Start pretty easily.  Seems pretty grunty, am trying to treat it well and not run it down too much, and am waiting on chrome, so have not ridden the scoot yet and put it under load .

It fits in snugly in home made cage in front of where you toes would be on other side of leg sheilds.   Same as they were originally on NZeta’s I guess, I just have not had an original battery holder cage to use or copy, but always thought it was 1 x 6 volt battery on each side… in front of toes etc…
Have put mine on left side, but either side would have worked fine due to plenty of space.

Will shout with an update once riding and fully tested.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.