Reply To: setting the timing and points

Home Forums Help ! setting the timing and points Reply To: setting the timing and points

Author Replies
Gords # Posted on November 10, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Hi Douglas,

I wrote a reply to this earlier and submitted but thing it got lost in the ether! Great to hear that you have the beast up and running. So to your questions;

Firstly set the points gap, this should be done when the piston is at TDC (and the points at their most fully open) and the gap should be set to 12 ‘thou’ or 0.3mm (depending on what sort of feeler gauges you have) use the adjusting screw to achieve this. Might take a couple of goes to nail TDC.

Secondly to set the points opening position. Wind the crankshaft anti-clockwise until the piston is 3.5mm down from TDC (doesn’t matter if you measure this at the crown or at the side – as long as it is the same place that you measured TDC. Here I do it a bit differently to the thin feeler guage or cigarette paper method. I hook up a continuity meter or a test lamp through the points. At 3.5mm before TDC, the points should be just opening so; loosen the 2 screws on the points backing plate just enough to be able to rotate the plate clockwise until the points close and you have continuity/the test lamp lights up. Then turn the plate slowly anti-clockwise until you just lose continuity/the test lamp goes off. Tighten the 2 screws then wind the crankshaft slightly anti-clockwise (you should get continuity/lamp should light) and then slowly turn the crankshaft clockwise until you just lose continuity/lamp goes off – check that you are at 3.5mm before TDC. Repeat if necessary.

Give me a call if you would like to talk it through.

Gordon