502 header pipe and muffler

Home Forums What parts do you need ? 502 header pipe and muffler

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
June 15, 2014 at 8:36 pm #980

Blair

Hi all. Am looking for a 502 header pipe, I know they are super rare, and was going to make one… but have to get some one to bend it… and having one to copy would be super easy.
So if anyone has one to sell, even if knackered… please give me a shout. Muffler would be good too 🙂

Failing getting my mitts on one, would anyone with a 502 be so kind as to take a few pics of up underneath… am just trying to see where the header runs from head to muffler and get the gist of the route. Then maybe I can mock one up and get it bent.

Cheers all.
Blair

June 17, 2014 at 2:44 pm #981

Jim
Keymaster

Hello Blair

I will have a look for you tonight.

June 18, 2014 at 2:23 pm #982

philotago

Hi Blair,
I had pipes made for an Ariel twin 1950, also for Zenith 1938. I went to Magoo muffler and Brake, in Dunedin. They sent the patterns [I made these out of old pipe, roughly tacked together with gas fusion welds] to Chch, and they got scanned into thier computer. The machine, guided by computer, bent up stainless pipes with perfect equal diam bends [no crimped or variation in curve – curves tidy as] for $100 each.
Now I have a computer file number, and can quote that to get another pipe if either I damage one, or someone else wants one. If you used the same service, anyone wanting a tidy pipe in good stainless only need quote the file no. Price may have gone up, as it was 8-10 years ago, but I have not seen better pipes, nor had better service.
Cheers, Phil, Otago.

June 18, 2014 at 5:04 pm #996

Jim
Keymaster

Here you go Blair. My 502 header pipe and muffler (I think its a 501 one) exits on the left hand side of the scooter. I think factory they exit on the right and the 502 muffler is a little bit larger. Depending on how the header end is orientated where it attaches to the cylinder (I cant tell if it is welded to the pipe or not) with the right bend radius etc the pipe could possibly exit either side of the scooter. I have a 501 exhaust header pipe so will try to see what the differences are when I have some time.

502_zorst 502_zorst1 502_zorst2 502_zorst3 502_zorst4

June 18, 2014 at 9:08 pm #999

Blair

Great, thanks a bunch chaps.  These pics have told me I have a CZ175 barrel, but not a 502 one… tis slightly bigger on the outside and the fan is not fitting by a few mm.

The exhaust port comes out slightly more to the left than the 502 one… so that’ll add a new angle to the resto (and header pipe).  Kinda hoping the different barrel is not a prob, it does run, so maybe all is good and this was simple remedy when the perhaps harder to find 502 barrel was out of reach sometime in the past.  Would be cool if it gave more horsepower too 🙂  Might be some NZeta racing to be done at a future NZeta meet to find out…

Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.