Engine problembs loss of power

Home Forums Help ! Engine problembs loss of power

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
October 13, 2014 at 9:28 am #1133

johncas

Dose anyone know how to get my engine running smoothly I had it going on Friday but it was trying to cut out got it out on sunday and the engine kept losing power throttle full open no power then it suddenly comes on and the bike goes in first gear but in when I go into 2nd cant get power

Someone said try cleaning the <span class=”name”>Carburetor and I might want to adjust the clutch is that what I need to do or do I have a bigger problembe</span>

I am mixing the fuel and oil to the ratio as printed in the original operators manual which I downloaded from this site is that ratio still correct as im no mechanic but the engine dose start after a few trys

October 13, 2014 at 10:31 am #1136

Jim
Keymaster

johncas where are you based?

You have a vintage scooter so you are now a mechanic. Google is your friend as most 2 stroke motors run the same and have the same issues.

You may have a combination of problems with your scooter and you just have to work your way through them to eliminate the issues one by one.

You could try these basic things and report back how you get on:

1. replace your spark plug with a new one – just use another one the same as you have now. (you will always need a spare)

2. The 20:1 fuel mixture probably isn’t the issue but you will need to service the carburetor to discount it. clean out your carburetor, with an compressed air gun or similar and use new fuel/oil. check for fuel leaks, broken gaskets, blocked air filter, crap in the fuel tank etc.

3. check your points – this is something you may need help with depending on how keen you are to do the work yourself but as a start just take the cover off and see if anything is loose or if its full of crap spray some CRC in there and give everything a clean.

Once you have made progress with getting the motor to run and rev, while in neutral, you may then be able to work on the clutch to see if you have an issue there.

Lets know how you get on.

October 14, 2014 at 3:05 am #1137

johncas

Well took the seat off and found there is no air filter in what filter dose the scooter use

November 21, 2014 at 9:53 am #1139

Jim
Keymaster

Page 8, fig 1, of the workshop manual shows the filter. Its a cylinder shape about 6-8 inches long and sits inside the “horn” looking thing (induction silencer) connected to the carburetor.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.