Fitting the header pipe to the exhaust port

Home Forums Help ! Fitting the header pipe to the exhaust port

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
August 27, 2016 at 3:22 pm #1387

oldmgs

<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>OK, I have sorted out fitting the 502 exhaust system on the 502 engine in a 501 frame – short length of flexible pipe did the trick and it sits very nicely on the right and clears the stand. </span>

<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>But what is the trick to fitting the header pipe to the manifold? My cylinder has a pair of stepped groves inside the bore of the exhaust port. I have another 502 cylinder with a short concentric pipe protruding that the header pipe fits over and goes into a groove, which seems like a better system – but anyway that’s not the one on the engine. </span>

<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>So I have a new gasket that is a tight fit and goes to the bottom of the outside groove, but no further. Leaves about 1mm or so of lip to locate the header pipe. There is a U shaped bracket near the end of the header pipe and you secure the header pipe to the exhaust port with a single 5mm bolt, which is much smaller diameter than the U bracket. When I tighten up the screw, because the pressure is on one side and the bolt is a very loose fit in the bracket it just skews and the other side of the header pipe pops out the port.</span>

<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>There is a little hole on the outside of the U bracket which I assume has some purpose? I am thinking I should put a spacer inside the U bracket to take up the gap between the U bracket and the bolt shaft? Or perhaps make the gasket a bit thinner so the header pipe goes further inside the port. I have been applying exhaust cement to try and ensure a good seal.</span>

<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>Any suggestions?</span>

<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>Thanks Douglas</span>

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.