Original 6v Dyno Unit

Home Forums Help ! Original 6v Dyno Unit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
October 27, 2017 at 11:31 am #1734

tallsteve

Hi all,

After a complete top to bottom rebuild I have finally got my 501 engine running this week on a little test bed that I have built – first time in over 40 years that it has run!  The jetting is way to rich (awaiting arrival of leaner pilot jet), it does not rev to well but it will idle.

My question is regarding the dyno unit which supposedly charges the battery – can someone explain how it operates, my understanding it that it kicks in when a certain RPM is achieved with the generated current closing the contacts and delivering power to the battery?

What would be the best way of testing and measuring if this part of the circuit actually works?

Thanks in advance

Steve

October 27, 2017 at 11:57 am #1741

Jim
Keymaster

Hello Steve,

The dynastarter not charging the battery is a well known issue with these but I think its more about the regulator not doing it’s job properly and a few people have changed their regulator to get this working.

As for testing it, other than the obvious – hooking up a battery and seeing if it stays charged – I don’t really know how you would do this.

Please pass on any information you may find out about regulators or just testing this. Good Luck.

cheers,

Jim

October 27, 2017 at 12:06 pm #1742

Jim
Keymaster

Just thought of something – does the ignition light stay on when the engine is running?

Also when the engine is running is there any voltage on the dynastarter terminal going to the Pal/magnetron regulator?

November 2, 2017 at 6:31 am #1744

tallsteve

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your reply. As the engine is only running in a test rig setup at present I do not have the rest of the wiring harness hooked up just the battery, ignition coil and engine. – I presume that you are refering to the ignition light on the dashboard? I will email you a video of the engine running in its test rig.

I am not exactly sure where to measure the voltage on the Pal/magnetron regulator – my battery when fully charged only reads 4.8v – this is enough to start the engine, I presumed that when the engine is running and the dyno is feeding back to the battery that I should be able to read 6v across the battery terminals as that is the power being generated by the dyno?

November 6, 2017 at 10:24 am #1748

Jim
Keymaster

Hello Steve,

Have you downloaded the cezeta/nzeta workshop manual?

It has good information on the various electrical things you want to know.

cheers,

Jim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.