Brakes and clutch question

Home Forums Help ! Brakes and clutch question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
October 11, 2014 at 11:04 am #1130

johncas

Is there anyway to improve the braking on my cezeta as is has drum brakes

Also when in Neutral gear you have to hold the clutch leaver in to stop the engine stalling and cutting out is this useral or dose the clutch need adjusting I thought is neutral gear you could just leave the engine to run

October 11, 2014 at 5:39 pm #1131

Blair

Hi johncas

Apart from fitting a disc brake system, all you can do is make sure the brake shoes are new, not old and gone hard and brittle, keep the brakes adjusted well, and you can get drums to work pretty well.  Mind you the heavy old things NZetas are make stopping a bit slow all the same.

Um, about neutral, are you sure it’s in neutral?  Does sound like its in gear.

NZetas seem to me like the gearbox has 2 false neutrals. Between 2nd and 3rd, and 3rd and 4th.  I never hit these whilst riding, just when parked up in shed, adjusting things.  This just could be because I didn’t change gear fully or properly.  Maybe possibly, you are in one of those or sort of halfway between 2 gears?

October 13, 2014 at 9:21 am #1132

johncas

Im in neutral I put it in first them up one which should be neutral the green light dose not come on but I don’t think that works then when I release the clutch the engine cuts out I know it’s in neutral as when the engine is off the bike moves if your in gear when the engine is off the bike wont move

October 13, 2014 at 9:57 am #1135

Jim
Keymaster

Hello johncas,

Its a heavy bike, designed in the 50’s, so the brakes just need to be kept well maintained. There is no reason why you couldn’t change the original front fork to a disc brake set up without a whole lot of work but you would probably be better to use another fork assembly that already has a disc brake eg a Vespa PX150 (this may not work without some serious modification!!)

The neutral light is usually orange (but apparently this can be changed). Mine doesn’t work either….

You need to confirm you are not in any gear before we can help. Warm up the motor/clutch first and just change up or down the lever under your left foot until you can move the bike back and forward while sitting on it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.