NZeta with a Jawa 350cc Twin?

Home Forums Scooter Stories NZeta with a Jawa 350cc Twin?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
September 30, 2015 at 10:41 am #1226

sifty

Hi everyone/anyone,

I don’t have a NZeta, but my Dad used to have a few. His last one he fitted with a Jawa 350 twin, he used to run around with the Auckland Motor Scooter Club and sold it back around 1968 (ish).  I don’t suppose anyone has heard of or seen it in more recent times? It was a well sorted conversion that he did many many kms on, including a couple of laps of NZ, but it disappeared off the face of the earth after he sold it.

I have some copies of the old AMSC club magazine including one that actually has his article detailing the swap, including the templates for the brackets he made.

Personally, I have a Maico Maicoletta and have had a string of Vespas and even a Tigress briefly.

Cheers,

Si.

September 30, 2015 at 10:46 am #1229

Jim
Keymaster

Hello Simon

That’s a great story. Would you have any pictures of your fathers scooter?

I would appreciate a copy of the AMSC article if you are happy to share.

regards,

Jim

September 30, 2015 at 11:11 am #1230

GregP

Hi, I’m just a bit doubtful that a 350 cc engine could be fitted into an Nzeta. The 250 cc one would fit with some alterations such as a cut-out into the seat luggage space and perhaps some reshaping around the footboards. The width over two barrels would surely be greater than the inside width of the Nzeta body? Trimmed find on the 350? The crankcase/gearbox ‘egg’ on the Nzeta is slightly up inside the body but the 350 is a cylinder wider so it would have to sit lower.

i did once experiment with an old 350 motor  in my CZ 175 motorbike, it fitted straight in except for the speedo cable which aligned with a frame tube, but there was of course no body work. Anyone got a spare 350 cc motor for me to try? 🙂

October 3, 2015 at 11:07 am #1250

Blair

Hi guys

Would be great to have a 350 in there and its giving me ideas… I have a 502 frame that could have a 350 chucked in 🙂

The info on this in “Scooter Stuff” is bloody great, but the first page, when you click to make it bigger, changes to another page, the one with Club names and scooter types etc…   Pls pls can you fix this up Jim… keen to read how its done without going cross eyed.

Arr so anyone got a 350 engine lying around… perhaps you might Greg P?

Cheers guys

October 3, 2015 at 11:22 am #1251

GregP

Hi Blair, all,

i have a 501 and 502 under restoration.

i think I have most bits for the 502 and an assortment of part motors which might make one for the 501.

i’d like the 502 to be fast enough to keep up with highway traffic, which is a bit below marginal for an original 502.

the model 450 (175) and early 350 motor were back in the 1970s – long gone 🙁

lf anyone has a spare 350 motor this would b a good time for me to experiment with one of the Nzetas.

Greg

October 5, 2015 at 12:38 pm #1256

Blair

Hi guys

Managed to win a TM auction with 250 and 350 Jawa motors in it yesterday.

They look to be a similar era to the NZeta engines, picking them up tomorrow… might be about to find out if they’ll go in with much hassle, if of course any of them are any good.

There was 2 expansion chambers in the auction too… that might help the ol forward momentum a touch.

Will keep you up to date with what I find out, cheers guys 🙂

March 21, 2016 at 10:36 am #1283

Jim
Keymaster

Hey Blair

how did you get on with the the 250/350 jawa motors?

April 1, 2016 at 10:17 pm #1314

Blair

Hi Jim

Ta for the prompt, should have posted already 🙂

Went and collected the parts lot, from a chap who used to race Jawa 350’s and later 250’s.  One bummer was the fairly together looking 350 engine in one of the pictures on Trade Me, was not there.  Not enough 350 internals in the lot to get an engine together either.

Did get several engine cases, 1 x 350 and a couple of 250 ones, 350 and 250 barrels and a whole heap of disassembled engine and frame parts.

Think it may be possible to put together the 250 race engine, reed valves and expansion chambers and shit, to stick in the old race bike frame that came with the parts lot.  Be looking to sell that for whatever its worth.

Have another 250 that looks like it can go into an NZeta fairly easily, twin exhaust like a 501 engine.  It is bigger and longer but should be able to adapt the engine mounts to get it in.  It came with an alloy 250 barrel, and a steel one, so should be able to play around and tune a wee bit and maybe get the scoot up over 100 kph easily enough… yeah right!

See how it goes but that is sorta the plan…  could easily be changed along the way.  (Like chuck out the old engine and put a modern one in).

Must get some pics up of the 502 Supreme resto on the go at the mo, and then this 502 250 project.

Cheers.

April 3, 2016 at 1:44 pm #1316

Jim
Keymaster

Thanks Blair

My 501 is coming along but the 502 will be last as it has comprehensive hot glue all over the bottom of the engine to stop oil leaks. I’m guessing there’s no gaskets in it…

The 250 engine sounds feasible enough and 100 kms would have to be the target for any scooter!!

April 3, 2016 at 2:12 pm #1319

Jim
Keymaster

Hey Blair the pictures display OK for me using chrome as a browser – can you still net read them?

August 14, 2018 at 12:37 pm #1982

Blair

Hi all

Progress is being made on the JZeta, the rusty 502 body I have has had a new right foot board fabbed and the engine bulge cut out in floorboard.  Am now fabricating a complete new front, all in front of the leg shields, and am half done.

This frame was the rustiest frame I dare to take on, roughly half will be new metal once done, so still a long road ahead.

Can post up some pics, Jim do I send them to you directly?

Have also cleaned up a 350 engine carcass and need to get the pistons and conrods, plus kick start shafts for the previous engine model.

August 16, 2018 at 12:46 pm #1989

Jim
Keymaster

Hey Blair

send me the pics mate.

looking forward to seeing them.

August 19, 2018 at 1:43 pm #1990

Blair

Cool will do, please may I have your email addy again?

September 18, 2018 at 9:20 am #2028

Jim
Keymaster

sent now.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.